Oh ok good to know, thats a route I might go if my motor blows up lol or just go with a 3v swap with the 3v ecu and everything. You can "drive this truck on the interstate all day. Up front, the Cobra radiator and cooling fan fit nicely between the frame rails and the intercooler is mounted between the radiator support and the hood latch bracket. crown vic 3v swap old restaurants in lawrence, ma Generated in 0.079 seconds in which 0.030 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Yes, it works, but it's definitely not optimal suspension geometry for a lowered truck. One of the most popular swaps going these days is underpinning various classic trucks with the front suspension off of the venerable Ford Crown Victoria, including the 1967-1972 Ford F-100. Once you have chosen an engine, it is time to select a computer and wiring harness to control the engine. The only other fitment issue was the IAC solenoid, which was mounted on top of the supercharger intake. unfortunately im on workers comp waiting on my trial in October but I will have the car up and running before February next year. The 5.4 is even wider still. We recently installed a Ron Francis electrical panel in our Buick build on Horsepower Wars. Zlib compression enabled. The fuel system was custom designed to use the components from the 2003 Cobra. CrownVic.net is a forum and information center dedicated to the Ford Crown Victoria and its siblings: Mercury Grand Marquis, Mercury Marauder, and Lincoln Town Car. If you want to use only the engine, an aftermarket computer may be your best option. 5.4s were made (in my opinion) to have 4V heads on them (or TFS heads, now go finish your build bondfreak!) An accelerator pedal that uses a potentiometer to identify the position of the pedal is matched to the throttle control. F100 Build: Crown Vic IFS Swap! To start the conversion, Rod and Custom Motorsports performed extensive fabrication work and installed a Mustang II front suspension. (A friend test drove a newer Mustang GT and while he was cruising at 95 mph and backup system threw a minor code. 2011 P71 4.6L 3V swap | Modular High Performance | Crownvic.net Out the factory door, the P71 Interceptor Crown Vic managed 239 horsepower out of its 4.6 liter V8. However, a simple software jump in the PCM programming could defeat these systems. Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete (For Real) - The FORDification This owner wanted to retain stock control of the fuel pump and the returnless fuel system. A 5.4 should bolt in right in place of the 4.6. The main advantage of the 3V is indeed the cam phaser so locking it out would really offset any real potential. I'd just wait for a 2v block or get the 3v motor and use 2v internals and heads on it. With the introduction of the EEC-V system in 1994 came the OBDII (On-Board Diagnostic II) set of standardized error codes, which are still in use as of this writing. My boys are getting to the driving age and I think it would be a great project to get them involved with and get their minds working. 96 F150 5.0 Firing OrderFiring order 1996 ford f-150 5. During the EEC-V era, Ford transitioned away from coil pack ignition to a coil-on-plug (COP) system. see I don't know how the PCM works or how it turns on at first that's why I just asked about using a 3V control pack from ford. You can just machine an adapter plate to use a standard modular cable-actuated dual bore throttle body (ie Cobra/Mach/MM) instead for pre 05 panthers, and fab a small bracket to mount the cables. QA1. crown vic motor in a mustang. - Mustang and Ford Performance Forums (Photo Courtesy SCT). open to all modifications to the 5 . For this, you need a scan tool, which costs more than the error code readers, depending on what level of features your scan tool possesses. Both types have benefits and drawbacks. I really wanted to do the swap in an sn95 because a full bolt on 3v in the lighter sn95 chassis with a good suspension would be a nice strip car. All Ford modular engines come with mass air fuel injection systems from the factory. Would also like to add AC to the truck as well if the makes a difference. the 6.2l uses different sensors for the crank and cam pick-ups then what the 4.6l 2v uses. looks really good. This wire can be run behind the splash shield on a Mustang to protect it. Some manufacturers still use speed density. The 4.6 3V was dropped in 2010, but the 5.4 3V continued in some trucks until 2015. EngineLabs Refreshes A Set Of Ford GT40 Cylinder Heads, Mazda Really is Bringing Back the Wankel Rotary Engine, A New Diesel Piston That Increases Power And Reduces Emissions, Shop Tour: Brian Tooley Racing Expands To Be A One-Stop Shop, A Guide To Ford V8 Engine Block Casting Numbers, 1952-1996, Chevrolet Performance Releases The Impressive L8T As A Crate Engine, A Guide To Mopar V8 Cylinder Head And Block Casting Numbers, Melling Offers New Timing Kits for Ford 4.6L and 5.4L SOHC Engines. In 2003 Ford went to a faster data channel, so older code readers wont read newer computers. valve train. 6.8L V10 swaps? | Mustang and Ford Performance Forums Manage Preferences - For the later VCT engines, the Ford Control Pack will also control the variable cam timing. 397.39whp & 374.19lbft! Programmers were first told that PATS was hard-wired into the computer, but this turned out to be not true or they were able to get around it. Hi guys, yesterday my engine decided that 182,xxx miles was enough and developed a rod knock, i drained the oil today and yep, all glittery and such. I'm going to look into it a little further, I'm more surprised than anything else that nobody else has done it. FRPP 3.V computer for 6.2l in my crown vic - Mustang and Ford Along with the standard industry error codes, each manufacturer has some proprietary codes that are available to cover specific features of its vehicles. Some of these systems are best controlled using a factory computer. But it may prove more challenging as Ford continues to improve its security systems. An old swing-arm voltmeter could be used to read the pulses put out by the computer. The early 2005 2006 engines require a modification to the wiring harness to work with the control pack. To fit it in the truck we got a front frame clip from a wrecked crown Vic police car with heavy duty suspension.and attached it to the original chassis and boxed original frame and 9 inch rear end. If you get 360 at the wheels, then yeah you're probably close-ish to 450 at the crank, as 360 is 80% of 450. Electronic speed control is tucked under the driver-side splash shield. Brand New. What do I need to swap for ECM, harnesses, and such? Read an interesting article about the Modular Series of engines and interchangeability. The EEC-VII system uses a computer housing similar to the EEC-VIs, but it uses the three connectors on the end or top. As the cars became more complex, Ford needed new ways to bring circuits together. Follow the recommendations in this chapter to select the best computer and wiring system for your engine. Head swap from 2v to 3v | 4.6L Based Powertrains | Crownvic.net (Photo Courtesy Ford Performance Parts). Which sounds to me like the 2V head is the limiting factor. Circuits from the engine area and interior terminate here, and if you plan on using the original harness, you need to get all of the special items like this. From what I understand, you would benefit much more from a 4 valve vs. a 3 valve. It is usually found on the drivers side of the interior under the dash. We swap the whole drivetrain in 1 day, next video will go over wiring up US Shift Quick 6 computer! Mustang is lower profile intake with dual bore throttle body and Explorer is a little taller with single blade round throttle body. seems like a ton of work and by no means is this an "easy" project. Only car that came with more than two valves was the Marauder which had a 4v. I agree. Some manufacturers still sell speed density systems, and they use a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor to measure the pressure inside the intake manifold. Not unpossible just gigantic enough to make the "Street Rod" standalone PCM far worth the $1100. The independent rear suspension is already equipped to run the ABS. but i have a few issues. With the introduction of the Ford Control Pack, it has taken over as the best and easiest-to-use computer control system. In addition, they dont have some of the issues with throttle by wire and VCT. Here are some of the bigger hurdles to consider if using a Ford wiring harness and computer. The 5.4 3v is almost as wide as the 4v. Most MAF systems use sequential fuel injection, which means the fuel injectors are only firing once per cycle, making them more efficient than some speed density systems that fire every revolution (also called waste spark). Major changes to the engine may require a change to the size of the mass air meter. Electronics are also borrowed from the Cobra donor car and the stock EEC-V computer is re-flashed. The shock towers were removed to make room for the wide DOHC heads. The battery was also relocated to the trunk. Because of this, it can sometimes be very inefficient on fuel mileage. dedicated to the 2003+ Crown Vic swap in F100 specifically to the 53-56 but pre 53 and post 57 are welcome. It plugs right into the DLC just the like pros use and can be used across multiple models and brands with licensing. The TBW throttle body/servo is only a minor issue. If you cant get the entire donor car, try to get as much as you can: computer, all the wiring harnesses, throttle pedal (if using throttle-by-wire), fuel pumps, and controllers. You have several aftermarket systems to choose from, but the choice boils down to three different types: Mass Air Flow, Speed Density, and Alpha-N. and used safety glass to fill in the rear windows. The computer is already programmed to fire without the PATS system and it can be tuned just like any other Ford computer. - '94 GT Convertible 13.905 at 100.41 mph. These computers are all mass airflow design, so they must use an airflow meter to measure the amount of air going into the engine. An aftermarket stainless-steel stock tank was modified to accept the 2003 fuel pump assembly and locate the fuel pump at the correct height. EngineLabs Refreshes A Set Of Ford GT40 Cylinder, Mazda Really is Bringing Back the Wankel Rotary, Performance Distributors Keeps The Spark Alive With SOS, Melling Offers New Timing Kits for Ford 4.6L and 5.4L SOHC, Reborn Retro Blower Packs Positive-Displacement Power For Fox, Shop Tour: Brian Tooley Racing Expands To Be A One-Stop, EngineLabs Tool Of The Month: Summit Racing Lb-In Torque, Why You Should NOT Emissions Delete Your Diesel, Can A Cold Air Intake Really Help Your Trucks, Ask The Expert: We Want Your Questions For Canton Racing, The Answers: DeatschWerks Responses To Your Fuel System, SEMA 2022: GEARWRENCH Leveled Up With Distinct Quality Hand, EngineLabs Tool Of The Month: Summit Racing AN Wrench, HOLY SHIP! 2023 Power Automedia. Some of these systems cannot be used in pollution-controlled vehicles. Head swap from 2v to 3v [Re: LT1L98LS6] 2004_p71 no replacement for displacement Posting Addict Registered: 09/04/03 Posts: 16010 Fatstang you didnt have to get your pistons notched? Ford 4.9 Throttle Body Upgrade2019 Ford F-250. 2004 Crown Vic LX SOLD!! For the later throttle-by-wire engines, Ford has developed a control pack that uses a stock-style Ford computer and a plug-and-play wiring harness that controls just the engine. The latest systems cannot only give you the basic error codes, but can log information on the engine and systems when an error occurs, provide real-time running information on the performance of the engine, and be programmed over the Internet for engine and drivetrain improvements for both performance and efficiency. Ford F-100 Crown Vic Front Suspension Swap. After using the TR-3650 for a few years and going back to the 4R70W during the winter, I really want to stick with the manual. In this video we start the 6R80 swap on my 08 Mustang GT! The biggest hurtle youll have is tuning really and having to lock out vct makes the 3v swap pointless in my opinion. With the factory PCM, any time you change something on the engine, you need to reprogram the PCM to accommodate the change. Will it fit? This kit supports the factory-installed 4R70W or 4R75W automatic transmissions. You can run your current 2v motor mounts, they bolt right in. See if they can dyno the car afterwards so we can see what kind of numbers you get. Ive honestly always thought the same thing. You need to buy a wiring diagram! About the time the VI-VCT engines came out, Ford improved the PATS system to the point that aftermarket performance tuners found it difficult to bypass the system. Even the earliest EEC-IV computers could communicate running information and errors incurred. Find a good tuner dealer and work closely to get your conversion right. Black Label Garage 1.78K subscribers Subscribe 89K views 4 years ago In this episode i go over what it takes to bolt up your Crown Vic IFS into your. About | Contact | Terms | Privacy, Unless you will be using the stock pump and controller in your. Trying to put 3V heads on your 2V block sounds like a recipe for endless headaches. I'd like to keep the stock gauges, and keep the stock column but I suppose i don't need to for the column. Some aftermarket companies use speed density systems to make big horsepower because they are easier to tune and do not have some of the restrictions of mass air. Sorry 450 hp is modded coyote territory. Cookie Policy - There really isn't much aftermarket for the V10, the 3v came from the factory with 362 ponies and 457 ft lbs of torque. If you want to drop a Blue Oval Mod Motor into your Mustang, T-Bird, or Rod and keep it all FoMoCo, Ron Francis Wiring has you covered. Or swap out for a 4.6 3v? The Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) has evolved over the years and the newest system is now the biggest hurdle to overcome in an engine swap. The newer the engine, the more difficult it is to use a factory system. Terms of Service - The 4.6L SOHC 2-valve engine was the fleet engine of choice for taxicabs and police cars as well as hundreds of thousands of Crown Vics, trucks, vans, and Mustangs, they're usually easy to find and cheap to buy. With tunes, headers, correct y pipe its very powerful. This build-in-progress is a 1967 Mustang coupe and it is receiving the full pro/street build out with a complete running driveline from a 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra donor car. We promise not to use your email address for anything but exclusive updates from the Power Automedia Network. - '89 GT. Generated in 0.038 seconds in which 0.013 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. The engine bay needs to be modified to make room for the bigger engine. Ford also introduced a returnless fuel system for which the PCM regulated fuel pressure.