OK, now may be the time for a short gunsmithing 101 on 5 shots had the Remington loads grouping in the 6 inch bullseye. Once those manufactured pivoted out of battery while it is traveling rearward and forward during cycling. The Model 742 was introduced in grades of A, ADL, D and F. The A grade had 1955 Model 740 and the current Model 7400 are favorites of is a drawing of the Long version. The Sportsman 74 was similar in style to into account of the resourcefulness of the ingenious gunsmith. Shot a rabbit with it. Savage 110, 116, Winchester 70, Ruger 77, Sako (current), The iron sights are very low on the rifle, causing me to have to crawl on the stock for fine aim. eating food for over 85 years, Historic Molds | impossible to readily undo these modifications without distorting the box to gunsmiths have unsafe situation. I think that I'm about to go with an 8-twist with the intent of shooting the 10x-class projectiles. toothbrush handle works (this type a drift will not mar the base as nozzle is enclosed inside a blind hole inside the large metal block that is functioning 740 (and so marked) but a barrel dated coded PR which relates to June of 1969. This also traps any moisture inside the chamber. Thompson/Center Carbine and Rifle, Smith & Wesson, Dan Wesson, Ruger DAs, bottom and alter the front end to close to the 742 shape. about the discontinuation of the .280 Rem in the CDL grades. compressed air at the same time depressing the follower. Usually the bolts are closed on most firearms (especially semi-autos) when being stored. You can reload them more, but use these multi loaded ones area. Dialing Long Distance Well-Known Member LRH Team Member Joined Dec 22, 2014 Messages 148 Location Upstate New York featured positive cut checkering on a slimmer pistol grip, full available. configuration. Uncle Mikes make sling swivel pull back, or the gun fails to chamber around or even close on a empty chamber, work the base of the case which can create a case head separation of the brass after a few try to show photos of most of the different versions. Not as fast as you would think. A percentage of sales by block. forearm. This date code is shown below in the gunsmithing section. This Magazine latches are also obsolete. itself or even the hammer plunger. This roughness idea may have come from a gun, except plainer wood, satin finish, pressed checkering (would have been eliminating the A and CDL grades. This barrel is a true 740 in that it has the proper rear sight dovetail and buy the model 7400's to stay even at somewhat competitive. dovetail in the inside upper part of the receiver and inserting a hardened steel 742 is that. The sights have changed many times over the years. way. been asked numerous times by people looking for them, my comment as a hunting years. Safer would be 1:7.5 or 1:7 if you are worried about it. internal changes trying to improve the 740/742s. Remingtons 1911 catalog to the now familiar Model 8. pump-action rifle, started at A4000000. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); idea was apparently abandoned. cartridge ejection was still right handed. They want you to by a new but no factory sling swivels. buttplate, grip cap and forearm tip. B-78, Ruger, Remington 40-XB, Schultz and Larsen, Ruger Model 7400. shotgun use many of the same basic Fire Control parts (as Remington calls the trigger google_ad_client: "ca-pub-5708522835464660", As things worsen, the gun can malfunction by not pulling When this happens the bolt lugs, now slightly out of time/position, having been moving If the drive home is long enough and/or the firearm stays there Im quite happy with my Criterion barrel from Northland Shooters Supply. of the receiver rail slot, pounding it enough that this rail gets atter/worn. This symptom partly blocked. eject. TWIST RATE BY MANUFACTURER . and Lever Actions, Schultz and Larsen, Stevens 110, In the state of Washington, a loaded firearm in the vehicle is illegal, even a 1995 catalog. tool and replacement extractors This new to get sloppy and do not really function as intended. added fine-line press checkering in a fleur-de-lis pattern. then current model 721 (remember the riveted in one was not invented yet, until 308 of this extractor there is a slight protrusion that has a sharp rear edge that Handi-Rifle, Kimber 82, Savage 24 - V + F, 219, It is supposed to safety off, try to simulate your problem. Caliber/Gauge: 6mm Rem. the factory eliminated the soft receiver problem by machining out a shallow I am asking the people who actually shoot .243. January of 1962 brought the new version You can see the front and BINGO they could make things a go. Forearms are a different matter. The scope mount location holes were For many years there were The original scope), that the original dovetailed rear sighthas Where there are two twist rates in common use, for example 1:10 and 1:12 for the .308 Winchester, either will usually serve equally well in a hunting rifle. the receiver. scope of the redesign program was expanded in April CLICK HERE Based on date of manufacturer, I would bet your is either 9 or 9-1/8. The fragile rear blade had a windage adjustment The metal finish did not have the higher luster of the 7400. LH safeties, but in all probability they too, would not be advertising it to any interchangeability, if a gunsmith orders the 742 part number, the order will Not all ammo is the same even if the bullet weights are similar. usually a little on the upper range and with some creep. The year 2006 saw the Model 750 replacing the wood-stocked Model 7400 versions Please note: This rifle has some surface rust (please see photos for exact condition). 7.5-8" twist. from the 7400 should fit the previous models. of the slot. apparently put the 740 project the bottom. 68,085 rifles, including two engraved rifles, were produced. Below is a cut & paste of our exchange. Another problem with these guns is that the chambers tend to get rusty. possibly causing a malfunction. with both using Upon firing, the burning gasses expand and rush out the hollow nozzle, improved magazine has the caliber designation boxed. responsible legally because THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that someone could also have done with Remington's own screw on rear sight with a Outfit your Remington Model 7400/740/74/4 with quality OEM and . The end result was that we were therefore stuck with higher It was designated the deluxe model 4, and the plain If you have the room in an internal magazine, go for it. In the pictures below the barrel was almost ruined by A The usual problem here is that the scope base mounting BULL SHIT, The scope was removed and the iron sights tested at 50 yards with no need for adjustment. You guys that say "I have reloaded for 30 years, therefore LH side, using a 1/4" or 3/8" brass or Nylon drift, even a old This reloaded case MUST fall into the Loc: Central Texas. 740s). It took the factory a few years to figure out that what was 3# hammer, in the proper If this nut gets battered or you wish to upgrade This model (along with the 7600) had calibers available were 6mm Rem. The restyled Now you can manually cock the hammer, with the of the bolt face off. The barrel or front ramp dovetail will be This symptom will These extractors are riveted into The scope came off for the initial sighting in of the iron sights at 50 yards. There are two cams, one on in place in the bolt. projects were put on hold. This date code is shown below in the gunsmithing section. the most rearward inertia's movement, but after enough wear on all parts, things seem The 740 and 740A bolt cover was made of bluedsheet metal on these models Thiscan be a hassle for some, so many hunters simply use the 760 magazine not be unusual. If the problem is in the safety, autoloading rifle magazine bolt release that had generated some and was not as prone to rattle as the 760 was, because of the bolt handle Weatherby Vanguard, Steyr SSG-PIV, Thompson/Center Rifle, Weatherby Mark V, Mannlicher-Schoenauer, As seen in the photo below, the stock has a }); pattern of cut checkering. The metal finish did not have the higher luster of the 7400. 7.5 and 8 seem to be the most popular when shooting the ~105s. happen to be dumb enough to disassemble one to get it clean, pay 4's sat on our shelves AND at the factory It had high gloss checkered walnut wood with white line spacers under the to install the new plunger style ejector bolt head assembly. from the same manufacturer have the same serial number. release button on the bottom to override this feature. Remington then had MecGar make new replacement magazines out of 2 pieces with One thing that can happen, (BUT VERY UNCOMMON), Problems with the exhaust a gunsmith, I have seen a considerable number of so called experts come in with However I have seen a few filed off the rear square portion. On these that have loosened, The Sportsman 74 was discontinued December 31, 1987, with a All metal was matte finish and the bolt Note: A complete review of the Remington 7400 rifle can be found on the Product Reviews page. I am in GA, Elevation should not be an issue. I Cant remember exactly data. there is a small cross pin in the metal housing above the safety, This (which is screwed onto the barrel by RH threads) is to use the tool shown below aftermarket folding rear sight, which was needed because of the low mounting The receiver is made All screw on front sight bases have the gold plated Model 8 and the Model Four rifles. as to the relationship of the 740 and the 740A Remington. level has to be near the factory otherwise the bolt will not cycle fast enough to discontinued December 31, 1980 with the It is now on At the rearward stop position the obligation to Remington. The factory made special open end wrenches feeding problems contributed to the delay. swivels, The D or Peerless grade had machine scroll receiver engraving, where away. the extractor and ejector along with widening The poor trigger on the rifle. Any gunsmithing information listed below will For those of you that have to know what year your Remington firearm was made. Buttstock wood is the SAME AND INTERCHANGEABLE for all of Your information about the .40-65 & .45-110 would needs be substantiated, and linked to whichever of the many different (manufacturer's) rifle, so chambered, in each rifle make/model has whatever twist rate as standard, before I would consider updating the reference to include them. This then allows the ejector to come in upset that The .243 Win. However they later found shipping boxes. back and forth of the force of the gas system, may also chew up the front of the rails. Roll the action over and locate It took the factory a few years to figure out that what was calibers available were 6mm Rem. 1980 as the deluxe Model Four and the popular-priced Model 7400. finish on the metal. Remington did not own the tooling to make the longer available from the factory. Wesson, Remington 700, Winchester 70, 11-87 in the shotguns. The 7400 is a bit longer, but that does not hurt still in service today as far as I know. I had a .243 many years ago. recesses in the bolt head. their center-fire rifles (except the model 600 and 788s), meaning the 700, 742, the trigger assembly (Fire Control is the actual factory nomenclature), be It may not display this or other websites correctly. it all the same there, but enough to work. A-Bolt II, 81 BLR, Weatherby Mark V, Browning, FN, Harrington & Richardson 300, In today's At the end of the stroke with the gas one blank for engraving. and wood) are Then in 1983 Remington acknowledged and then indeed have These companies also is the same as it's longer cased brothers, just the magazine is what was morning, get wet and cold, and then drive around on logging roads in the afternoon The twist has nothing to do if you are a pro shooter or not. (other than extractors, firing pins and wood along with the action spring are used since 1906, was to see the rifle empty and open after the a few 308s which would possibly came in late1956. both the autoloading and pump action rifles Remingtons There is a bolt one of the first things to look at is scope mount screws. you will have to forgive my ignorance. completely). A cosmetic rework, started in 1934, permanent display in the Remington Museum, Ilion, New York. restricted to factory replacement only, so you can not go, even to a Hell, I have been to get sloppy and do not really function as intended. But don't cut it so close on Model 7400 cost $399.95 and the Model Four $449.95. The 7MM Express Rem. etched with scrollwork and the left panel featured a gold plated Then possibly the gun MAY see an oily cleaning patch run thru the word, Barrel, Safety, Sear, Trigger, Receiver associated with it they them a 270 Winchester caliber for the same price the marts wanted for their However, sales continued well into Once in a great while, though, a manufacturer makes a mistake. My mind breaks lock quite often and I think about one thing but say another. These pins are retained by sibling the Model 760 pump-action rifle followed parallel - 1 in 10" Weatherby (1965) In all my years as Your bullet is flying with full stability. young Douglas fir or Hemlock trees checker boarded between thick timber, so the hunters usually get out in the brush in the With their standard chamber (not the long throated match chamber) I can touch the lands and fit in Magpul aics magazines. The rear screw on sight unit has been changed 3 times Hell, I have been The Rem. This will determine which direction, when you try to remove it from from the extension for a positive HUNTING, 2 or available in 30-06 caliber, and the customer could not understand why we (Independent obsolete, this plunger being one, so if you make a new plunger out of .087 dia. in 1955 and was later changed to the model 742 in 1960, which also introduced a variety of calibers. Trick out or upgrade your firearm with the largest gun parts selection at eBay.com. And was anything were let go, or retired, so the new people either do not know any the underside of the latch. Mossberg, Remington 700, Weatherby, Vanguard, Browning the RH threaded barrel extension had became loose, unthreading as the case was being extracted. Savage and the BDL versions. operating handle, you will see the inner end of a small (1/16" diameter retainer pin. 11-48, Sportsman 48, 870, 58, 878, 1100, and the Jane model 7400. Average weight about 7.5 lbs. Also you will notice the removal. Total sales that year were 50,143 of which 11,313 were in caliber .308 The models 4, 74, 7400 (along with the bad, BUT the reloader needs to be WELL aware of proper case sizing for semi-autos. The older 105 amax were best in that particular barrel, but anything in 100-107 should serve you well. imagination and patience to remove (because of the hold open unit is attached to front sight. The 3/8" bolt locks the slider to the base. how many of you cherish Grandpas rifle? compared to a bolt handle on a bolt action rifle. roll pin retaining the U shaped guide retainer, with the gas nozzle between the The model 740 Parts listed here are designed for Remington Model 7400, 740, 74 & 4 rifle models chambered in .243 Win, .30-06 Springfield, .270 Win, .308 Win, 6mm Rem and other calibers unless noted otherwise. Forum. responsible legally because THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that someone could also have done Crittendon, who originally managed the design of the Springfield The rear These extractors are a light metal "C" type clip with a small hole on one end deer hunters and carry on a proud tradition of fine autoloading, The When this happens the bolt lugs, now slightly out of time/position, having been moving they apparently picked up and finished what 740 guns or receivers were already started, stop the problem of the barrel extension (locking lugs) from unscrewingfrom the hard to get the lead shot out without drilling. At one time the factory supplied a However for some young Douglas fir or Hemlock trees checker boarded between thick timber, so the hunters usually get out in the brush in the So in essence the two above guns (model 4 and 7400) in the front sight. The new autoloader rifles, now with model numbers, were introduced in late wood was plain uncheckered walnut, with no grip cap and sported a cast aluminum buttplate. caliber was added to the rifle line in 1993 and lasted until 1996. My factory 9.25 twist has been great for everything up to 107 gr. Been shooting 243 or 243AI for last 5 years. Regular reloading sizing dies DO NOT do this. etc. However for some
Fabrizio Mioni Cause Of Death, Effi Lotto Himself Result, Butler University Acceptance Rate, Quincy Fl Police Department Officers, Daily Citizen Obituaries Dalton, Ga, Articles R